Saturday, October 13, 2012

Countdown to Halloween Dady 13 -- 5 Horror Musicals I Want to See

When I was living in Stillwater, there were a couple of Halloweens in a row where the local community theater put on some sort of horror-themed musical.   I would love to find somewhere around here that was carrying on the tradition, as there are several horror musicals I'd still like to see.

5.Phantom of the Opera -- This is one I'd like to see on stage just for the sheer spectacle of it all.

4.  Carrie: the Musical -- Okay, I'll admit that this one is born more out of morbid curiosity than anything else, as this is known most for being a horrendous flop on Broadway.  As such, the odds of my ever seeing a production are pretty much nil, but that only increases my certainty that if a production ever sprang up close to Denton, I'd be first in line.

3.  Dracula: The Musical -- No, I don't mean the puppet musical from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, although that's only because it doesn't really exist; if it did, I'd be all over that.  Instead, this is a more straightforward musical take on Bram Stoker's novel.  Like Carrie, it was originally a flop, but after some major re-tooling, the show has gotten some more favorable notice.  Most of my desire to see it springs from watching one of the contestants on PBS's Broadway or Bust perform a song from it .




2. Bat Boy: the Musical -- This story losely inspired by the Weekly World News "Bat boy" story won several awards and positive reviews for its Off-Broadway premiere, which bumps it above most of the other horror musicals you read about.

1.  Evil Dead: The Musical --  I think the Evil Dead series of films, with their progressively cartoonish, over the top characters and violence, lend themselves well to a musical comedy, so I was intrigued when I first heard about the show.  The main reason it's #1 is that last night a friend told me that there's actually a production nearby the week of Halloween, so my intrigue has turned to full-blown excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment