Saturday, October 27, 2012

Countdown to Halloween Day 27 -- 5 Favorite Horror Musicals

5. Cannibal: The Musical -- I've never had the pleasure of seeing a live production of this dark comedy based on the story of real life cannibal Alferd Packer from the creators of South Park, just the film version.  The comedy definitely outweighs the horror here, and most of the songs are relentlessly cheery and upbeat, if nonsensical.




4. Evil Dead: The Musical  -- Li'l Brother and I just went to a prduction of this last night in Grapevine last night; not sure I can say it's a great play, but it was definitely a great experience.  Probably works best for those who are familiar with the whole Evil Dead film trilogy, as it mashes parts of all three together and has a good number of inside jokes.



3. Jekyll & Hyde  -- I saw a production of this in Stillwater many years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of that depends on the lead's ability to shift from the two sides of his personality.





2. Little Shop of Horrors -- I fell in love with the film in Jr. High, and have gotten to see a couple of stage productions as well, including the touring company with Broadway star Anthony Rapp in the role of Seymour.  Love the show's dark and twisted sense of humor.



1.  Sweeney Todd : The Demon Barber of Fleet Street-- The OSU theater department put on a production of this when I was still working on my undergrad, and I instantly fell in love with it.  While I'm glad the Tim Burton film exposed the musical to people who might not ever have seen it, I hate that his decision to excise the theatrical chorus aspect means they didn't get the full experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment