Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Countdown to Halloween Day 30 -- 5 Horror Movies I Saw Way Too Many Times As a Kid

Back in the days before the Internet allowed me to have DVD rentals delivered to me by mail or to stream movies directly onto my TV, I had to rely on local video stores for the bulk of my movie viewing experiences.  Because I grew up in a small town, the video selection could be sparse at times, and I often found myself drawn to the same movies over and over again.  Below are five movies my parents probably got sick of seeing on our TV.

April Fool's Day -- I'm not sure what it was about this slasher flick that put it into my rental rotation more than any others, especially since it's the only movie on this list I haven't watched since I graduated high school; cue me running to Netflix to add to queue so I can refresh my memory.

Troll -- A few years back, The Lovable PigPen, Li'l Random, and I had an 80s movie weekend where we all agreed on three films to watch, and each had one personal pick.  Troll wound up being my personal pick and, well, let's just say it didn't quite live up to my memory.  But when I was a kid, the mystic transformations and strange talking mushroom creature apparently reverberated with me.

House -- Another film from our 80s movie weekend, this one definitely holds up much better, although it's also definitely a product of its time.  A crazy blend of horror and comedy with performances by a trio of 80s TV stars (William Katt, George Wendt, and Richard Moll), the film's mixture of elements entranced my young mind.

Fright Night -- Still one of my favorite vampire movies, Fright Night manages to mix horror and humor much more coherently than House, while also populating it with fully realized characters.  Plus, that theme song.


Lost Boys -- Another of my favorite vampire movies, Lost Boys has three of its protagonists meet in a comic book store and learn most of the vampire lore from a comic book; need I say more? 


No comments:

Post a Comment